Locomotive G601 is the sole surviving representative of a class of three shunting locomotives constructed in 1956 by Motorenfabrik Deutz at Köln, Germany. Locomotive G601 entered traffic with CIE on 1st June 1956, and lasted in service until 22nd July 1972. The locomotive was officially withdrawn by CIE on 27th April 1978.
Locomotive G601 then languished at the back of Inchicore Works in a totally derelict
state until it was preserved by the Irish Narrow Gauge Trust in mid-
On 4th September 1993 the locomotive was moved to a new home at the Cavan & Leitrim Railway, Dromod, Co. Leitrim. The locomotive was then stored on an isolated section of track in the old narrow gauge bay platform at the station.
In September 1994 the owners of G601 decided to sell the locomotive, and gave first
refusal to the ITG. On 4th February 1995 G601 was moved by low-
During July 2008 a wooden frame was constructed around the upper part of locomotive G601. A protective layer of steel cladding was then attached to the wooden frame, which now completely encases the cab and bonnet of the locomotive. This was done in order to help protect the locomotive’s bodywork from the elements and also from the threat of vandalism.
During July 2009 a replacement Deutz F8L614 engine was obtained via eBay for this locomotive, which will greatly assist in its eventual restoration. The spare engine was paid for by a number of regular volunteers and donated to the ITG. On 27th February 2010 this spare engine was started for the first time using a makeshift fuel supply in order to test it. Everything was found to be in order.
G601 under restoration at Inchicore.
G601 at Carrick-
A sorry looking G601 stored at Inchicore Works in 1989.
©2014 Irish Traction Group